calories in cooked rice pin

T oday'southward nutrition Q&A comes from reader Crimson: How many calories in cooked rice?

I recently got this question in my inbox, which is a question I ask google all the time. How many calories are there in a cup of cooked rice? So, I figured I'd become downwardly to the respond one time and for all!

The quick calories judge

  • 1/2 cup of cooked rice = 106 calories
  • 1 cup of cooked rice = 212 calories

I arrived with these numbers based on cooking my rice and measuring it beginning raw:

  • ane cup dry out, raw white jasmine rice (200g) = 640 calories (according to the label)
  • After cooked co-ordinate to package directions with i 1/two loving cup h2o, it made three cups cooked that weighed 515 grams = and must also total 640 calories

Therefore, when made with 1.5 times rice to h2o, and portioned into 1/3 and 1/ii cups, which is the fashion I would normally swallow it, the calories for the cooked rice would:

  • 1/3 loving cup cooked = 71 calories and about xv grams of carbs, with zippo fat.
  • 1/2 cup cooked = 106 calories and near 22 grams of carbs, with zero fat.

But read on for the exceptions!

how many calories in rice cooked and dry

The trouble with answering this calorie question is when yous are using a tracking tool like MyFitnessPal, you go a variety of answers. So, which MyFitnessPal list is authentic? I mean, await at my screenshot below to see how disruptive it could exist.

calories in cooked rice from myfitnesspal

So, in order to find out for myself, I weighed my rice earlier and afterward cooking to get the most accurate calorie count for cooked rice.

The discrepenies in calorie counts for rice are ordinarily because:

  • A various amounts of water is used to melt the rice
  • A various amount of grains are used
  • Cooking times vary, causing a unlike yield in volume.
  • and measurements are sometimes in grams, sometimes by volume.

I saw this beginning hand when I changed the amount of water I used to cook rice from i.5 times water to rice ratio, to 2 times h2o to rice ratio.

When I used 2 Ten water to rice ratio, the same 1 loving cup of raw, dry out white Jasmine rice fabricated three i/2 cups cooked rice, rather than three. So, you lot tin can potentially swallow a bigger basin of rice, for the aforementioned corporeality of calories by increasing the h2o you lot cook it in. I do this with oatmeal all the time! (see my high volume oatmeal here)

Is Brown Rice Healthier?

If you are looking at calories and macros lone, there isn't a huge difference between brown rice and white. There is a ii grams more fiber in 1/four cup of raw brown rice, likewise every bit some Iron and potassium. Otherwise, they are pretty similar.

Many people ask why my meal plans all have white rice on them. (become my repast plans hither). The simple reason is, I think it tastes better, and the nutrient deviation isn't big enough for me to change my preferences. Also, my family prefers white rice, and I don't like preparing different meals for the family unit.

Lastly, I actually like the idea that white rice might absorb more quickly than brownish. If I'chiliad going on a run or a workout, quick acting carbs give me more energy, and rice is so gentle on the stomach, it's a keen pre-workout food.

calories and macros white rice vs brown
Calories and macros for brown rice vs white rice

Can yous eat rice and all the same lose weight?

YES! I ate rice the entire fourth dimension I was losing weight, and got lean enough to get on stage in a bikini! You'll find almost all physique athletes not only keep carbs like rice in their diet while they are losing, only it's essential for them to perform in the gym and build muscle.

Don't hesitate to continue rice in your nutrition during weight loss. Knowing the calories and macros and keeping your portions in check is the most important thing.

Exercise you have any questions about calorie counting? HMU! I'd honey to answer them!

Pin this post for afterward!

calories in cooked rice pin